Life Group Discussion
Scripture: John 11:14-77
- Have you ever been to a funeral? Share your experience with the group. Why are funerals important?
- Belief in the resurrection is fundamental to Christianity. What do you think happens after we die? Do we go straight to heaven? Do we rest in peace until the last day? What are your thoughts on what comes next?
- Death is simply, “Not being able to do anything anymore.” Death is not limited to our physical death. Where do you see the signs of death in your everyday life? How does Jesus enter into your everyday life to combat death on your behalf?
- Look at John 11:17. What is important about the detail that Lazarus had already died and been in the tomb for four days?
- Look at John 11:20. Martha and Mary give us two examples of how people cope with death. What are the differences between Mary and Martha? (Hint, look through all of John 11:20-44 to see how Mary and Martha respond to Jesus. What is different, what is the same?)
- Look at John 11:25. Jesus says, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live…”. What is Jesus asserting about himself?
- Look at John 11:26. Jesus says, “…and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die…”. What do you think Jesus means by this? (Hint: take a look at John 11:11-15 to get a sense of how Jesus sees physical death. If physical death is sleep, what death is Jesus talking about when he says ‘shall never die…’?)
- Look at John 11:33. What do you think it means that Jesus was “deeply moved in his spirit” and “greatly troubled?” What was bothering Jesus?
- Look at John 11:39. Martha does not want to open the tomb of Lazarus because of the smell. What is she asserting to Jesus? Where can we find hope in a hopeless situation?
- Look at John 11:43-44. Notice that Jesus calls Lazarus by name and then “the man who had died came out…”. The fear of death brings with it hopelessness and despair. What does faith in Jesus in the midst of death give you? Which is stronger, death or Jesus? Why or why not?